Ghyll Scrambling in the North East
The best ghyll scrambling adventures in the North Pennines!
Ghyll scrambling (also known as gorge walking or gorge scrambling) is an exciting outdoor activity that sees you sliding down natural rock chutes, plunging into deep pools and jumping from waterfalls – all in the heart of the beautiful North Pennines and under the safe guidance of our experienced instructors!
£60 per person
Head to the spectacular North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty for an incredible ghyll scrambling adventure!
Amazing fun for families, friends, couples, or stag and hen dos, this is a watery adventure that gets you right in the action. Prepare to get wet as you plunge into crystal clear pools, slide down natural rock chutes, and navigate the twists and turns of the river.
We'll meet you at Ashgill with all the safety kit you need. Once your fitted out with wetsuit, harness and helmet, it's time to take the plunge! There's no room for hesitation at the ghyll: your adventure starts with a big splash straight away! Then our experienced instructors will guide you safely down the river, making sure you have the time of your life as you go.
If you're looking for an even BIGGER adventure, why not take a look at our canyoning activity, also taking place at Ashgill.
- Location: Ashgill, Alston, North Pennines
- Approximately 1hr 10mins from Newcastle
- Minimum age: 8 years old
- You will need laced shoes, towel, shorts and bathing costume
- Minimum group size: 2
- Maximum group size: 20
- Wetsuits and the best quality safety equipment is provided
- Group discounts may be available. Please contact to ask.
- Length of activity: We advise allowing at least 3 hours for your experience. This includes pre-arrival time, your session on the water (including an activity assessment) and time to change afterwards.